Sunday, May 16, 2010

I Have A Little Shadow

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me, And what can be the use of him is more than I can see. Words by Robert Louis Stevenson from A Child's Garden of Verses. The Copy above is what started my collection. It was my Mothers as you can see from the penciled in name below-Gerlene,
She gave me her childhood copy when I was in high school and that started me off. I would pick them up through the years when I would see one. Mostly vintage but some newer versions.
This copy is a cloth book with the most wonderful graphics. I think that's partly what started my love of vintage. The graphics in some of these books is amazing!
I began to love all vintage children's books and artwork.
Love the cover on this one. My friend Donna and I were at GW last week and I found not 1 but 2 vintage copies in the kids book section.That was a good thrifting day. I have many more copies and will share more with you later. I hope you enjoyed my little book collection tour. What's your favorite children's book? I'd love to know.
But my lazy little shadow, like an errant sleepyhead, Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.

5 comments:

  1. I have a huge collection of linen books also.I love them.When we ever catch up with each other we will have to share them with each other..lol

    Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie!
    Oh how I love children's books! How wonderful to have your mother's book and what a wonderful collection it gave birth to. I love the idea of picking a classic title and collecting different editions. hmmmmmmm ... uh oh ... teehee!
    Favorite children's book??? Winnie the Pooh is the first title to come to mind ...
    Happy Monday to you!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found my Texas-Blogging Gals! Will get you on the next updated list.

    Enjoyed a first visit. Following........

    Come see me at my personal blog, too, real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again! Oh, I love vintage books-- all books really-- I have a book blog too-- If you would like to check it out: http://baja-greenawalts-cozybooknook.blogspot.com/2010/05/books-that-made-me-love-reading.html

    That link is to a post I did this wkend with photos/memories of all my almost 40 yr old Little Golden Books ect. Under the Tuesday Treasure Label are usually vintage books that I spot in a old school library I work in on Tues.

    I had a Little Golden book of the Garden of Verses that I loved-- I hope it is in Tx-- My mom kept my books but I didn't see that one the last time I was there.

    Sorry this is so long but now the main thing I wanted to say--- I found a school library discard of this book the other day-- just precious-- I plan to post about it soon-- would you mind if I link back to your post-- I bet some of my readers would enjoy seeing your books-- bookworms love vintage books--especially when they are tied to such special memories.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog. We have so much in common on what we like. I was just looking over your blog and loving it. This book you mention, yes I have several of those from my childhood. Also I like the fact you mounted on the wall the Chinese Checkers board. I have one I should blog and do that too.
    Take Care
    Nan

    ReplyDelete