Friday, August 6, 2010

Waiting for Fall

I'm thinking about fall and especially fall weather. I can't wait! We are getting ready for college here. Doing last minute shopping etc. Thought some of you scrappers might like to use the little calender girl image for tags or cards etc.

When I think about autumn I think about hooked rugs. I'm sure most of you have seen some these around. I've always been interested in them and took a class about 14 years ago. They start with recycled wool clothes that you shrink and cut into thin strips with a wool cutter. Then you hook the strips through a backing of burlap or Monks cloth.Below is my only vintage rug-I've had it in my bedroom for years.
You can see how faded it is. The back side is still vibrant. Some people actually used to turn them over when they faded and use the backside.
Here are a few of the ones I made. This was my first one.
I loved searching out the wool and then dying it to get the colors you want. I was in a hooking group that was so much fun, when we lived in El Paso.
The sheep below was from a pattern I bought. I love the "hit and miss" border.
I had most of my rugs down for years, but my taste and style has changed, so they are in storage (my husbands office closet) for now. Do any of you hook or have hooked rugs? I'd love to hear about yours. Have a wonderful weekend. I'm staying in-it's still over 100 degrees here and no sign of a break. Yuck!
Leslie

4 comments:

  1. Leslie..I am so impressed! What creativity you have!!! The sheep are so baaa-utiful! lol

    Hugs..Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah ..I forgot to say...I guess I won't get to make these..me and wool..don't get along!!I break out in hives! lol

    Out of curiosity..do you have the month for August 1956..I would love to have a copy for my birth scrapbook.

    Hugs..Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leslie~Wow! You did a great job on your rugs. They look so pretty. I thought my favorite was the one with the blackbird and sunflowers, then I saw the one with the sheep, too cute!!
    Thanks for sharing the information on how to make a hooked rug. I had often wondered. I have one, of course someone else made it, I just bought it!
    Hope your having a wonderful weekend.
    Fondly,
    Ann
    @
    The Tattered Tassel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful!!
    I am so waiting for Fall and nice cooler temps.!!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete